Registration will open Tuesday, May 1st
Join us for the 11th Annual Mini Wheat State Tour!
This event is an initiative of the Professional Development Committee of Staff Senate. Each year the Mini Wheat State Tour brings together a group of KU staff from across the university to learn about issues and institutions of importance to the state.
This year, we will visit Kansas State University and the Flint Hills Discovery Center in Manhattan, KS.
The 2018 Mini Wheat State Tour will take place on Friday, June 1. Registration is expected to open on Tuesday, May 1 and close Wednesday, May 2.
Space is limited to 96 participants. Staff will be notified by email if their reservation has been confirmed or if they have been placed on the wait list.
Applications will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis, with priority given to staff:
- Who have never attended the tour,
- Who have not participated in over two years,
- All others on a space-available basis, in order of when registration was received.
|7:45 am||Meet at Lied Center parking lot (closer to Dole Institute of Politics)|
|8:00-9:30 am||Drive to Manhattan|
|9:30-11:30 am||Tour of Kansas State University Campus|
|11:30-1:00 pm||Lunch in Aggieville|
|1:00-3:30 pm||Flint Hills Discovery Center|
|3:30-5:00 pm||Drive to Lawrence|
Notes about the tour
- The tour will include a lot of walking. We suggest wearing comfortable shoes.
- Any drinks brought onto the bus must either be in a plastic bottle with screw off lids, or a travel cup with a closable lid. No coolers, cans, or paper/Styrofoam cups with plastic lids and straws.
- There is no charge for the tour, but lunch in Aggieville is at the participant's expense.
- A tip will be collected for the bus drivers during the trip. There is absolutely no obligation, but if you are able to spare a dollar or two, it would be much appreciated.
- The bus will return to the Lied Center by 5:00 p.m. (barring unforeseen traffic issues).
- Parking will be open at the Lied Center; no parking permit required.
- The tour is considered "work time" for hourly staff, except meal breaks. Participation requires supervisory authorization.
- The tour is open to all university support staff (USS) and unclassified professional staff (UPS).
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Kansas-sponsored events. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this event, please indicate your needs in the registration form.
An accessible vehicle will be provided for the tour. This lift-equipped coach will accommodate an individual and mobility aid. Both the Flint Hills Discovery Center and Kansas State University provide additional information about accessibility on their respective websites.