Jeannette Johnson Staff Professional Development Fund
KU employees represented by Staff Senate (Unclassified Professional Staff and University Support Staff at Lawrence and Edwards Campuses) are eligible
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!
Deadline: April 13, 2018
Funds for this round of awards must be used by JUNE 15, 2018.
Appropriate uses of this fund: All staff can apply to receive funding for professional development. This development may take the form of:
- Conferences, workshops, and seminars, both on and off campus, including registration fees and travel expenses (priority will be given to applicants presenting at conferences as opposed to solely attending)
- Funding for special projects such as research and publication, related to your current position
The committee will NOT Fund:
- Computer Hardware/Software
- Journals or Books
- Memberships to professional organizations
- Training required by a department to fulfill one’s position responsibilities
- Speaker Honoraria
- On-line courses
- Tuition and fees
- KU employees represented by Staff Senate (Unclassified Professional Staff and University Support Staff at the Lawrence and Edwards Campuses are eligible). This includes individuals appointed to a regular position, both full-time and part-time. (Status is determined at the time of the submitted application).
- Employees must have been employed by KU for at least 6 months in a staff capacity by the time of application
- Individuals with temporary appointments, as well as those on leave during time of travel, are not eligible.
- Preference will be given to first-time applicants; past award winners are ineligible for 1 year.
Award Size: Awards range in size, with the maximum amount per award set at $300.00. If funding is awarded, recipients will be required to complete necessary KU travel forms prior to travel. This account uses endowment funds; the awardee must follow the General Travel Information and state guidelines for travel.
Awardees will work with their department or Shared Service Center and University Governance on reimbursement. There will be no retroactive awards; funding cannot be provided if travel has already passed and expenses have been paid.
This funding is meant to complement departmental funding. All applicants must ask their respective departments for funds, but are not required to secure them to be considered for Staff Senate reimbursement. Graduate students must also note whether they are eligible to receive funding from Graduate Studies’ Graduate Student Paper Presentation fund.
A completed application consists of:
- written proposal,
- expenditure worksheet sample expenditure worksheet
- supporting documents (e.g., conference brochure, timeline of travel, information on registration fees, airfare, hotel rates, shuttle/taxi service, parking, meals, etc.), and
- letter of support from supervisor
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Complete the online application here.
Written Report: Awardees must submit a brief written report summarizing the activity within 30 days of completing the activity/program. After receiving the report, the committee may invite awardees to present at a Staff Senate meeting to share what they learned from the development opportunity.
All funds awarded during this application round must be spent prior to 06/15/2018. Travel can take place after 6/15, but the funds must be used by this date; i.e. funds could be used for registration or airfare that is purchased well before the travel takes place.
Questions about this application should be directed to: Abby Ehling, email@example.com